Pages

Saturday, November 13, 2010

Twilight Series



Aaahhh… Twilight. I actually saw the books first on display in a bookstore before I knew there was a movie about it that's about to be shown. I read the synopsis at the back of the book and it was about a human girl in love with a vampire. It intrigued me, because I've never read a book that has that plot. I wanted to get to know the characters properly, Bella and Edward, as well as the Cullen family. So when the movie came out, I was psyched to go watch it. It didn't bother me that some people in online forums criticized it and said it was a high school musical about vampires. I had to see it for myself. So we watched it and I actually really liked it. No matter what other people say, I think they did the casting pretty well. Though that was probably because I watched the movie first before I read the books. But nevertheless, I think the casting couldn't get any better than that. Seeing the movie made me even more excited to read the books!
I finally got hold of the four books and I eagerly started to read them. In summary, Book 1 (Twilight) was nice, Book 2 (New Moon) was boring, Book 3 (Eclipse) was full of action, and Book 4 (Breaking Dawn) ended too soon.
Book 1, for me, did a pretty good job in introducing the whole series and the characters. It made me curious about the whole vampire world and whether or not a romance between a human and vampire could actually work. Book 2 was boring in my opinion because well… I'm team Edward. And for the most part, the second book focused on Jacob and Bella. And I don't know, it's just not the same without Edward there. So I guess that made the minutes seem more like hours, when I was reading it. Anyway, Book 3 was better. It was mainly about Victoria and the fight with the army of newborn vampires she's created. But Edward was definitely back, so I was more interested. LOL. Though at some point of the book, I really hated Jacob Black. Book 4 was essentially about Bella becoming a vampire and giving birth to a half-vampire, half-human daughter. But the book ended too prematurely for my taste. It could have done with a bit more epilogue in my opinion. But hey, it's all good because it was a happy ending nonetheless. I guess it just left me wanting for more.
Overall, I would recommend the Twilight Series. Stephenie Meyer, the author of the novels, did a good job. The target audience is largely teenagers, but I guess it has an appeal for adults too. Try to read the whole four books and watch the movie too if you can. I think it's safe to say that the series deserves all the mania and hype that it's experiencing now ! :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers